Re: APPM with Different Cameras

Roland Christen

People who have purchased the 1100/1600 in these last couple of runs have the latest software in their CP4 and keypad.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Feb 2, 2022 5:07 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] APPM with Different Cameras

Indeed.  I was asking if the updated firmware is available yet.

From your later reply, it sounds like "not yet", which is what I thought.  I just got a bit excited when you mentioned "CP4/5" below :)

-Wade

On 2/2/22 2:04 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io wrote:
CP4s are software upgrade-able.

Rolando

Sent: Wed, Feb 2, 2022 3:56 pm

Does the current CP4 firmware already have these features?  I hadn't heard that.

Thanks,
-Wade

On 2/2/22 1:35 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io wrote:
The latest keypad software has a built-in modeling routines, one of which is Dec arc modeling which is effective at producing the RA/Dec rates to compensate for drift in those axes for a specific object. There is also global modeling for pointing and a routine for eliminating orthogonality error. In the case of the keypad, this model resides in the CP4/5 controller, rather than on a laptop, so it can be used in the field without a laptop for someone that just wants to do imaging with a consumer digital camera. I have tested the software on a number of objects and the latest version is quite effective for unguided imaging. The only downside is that you have to do some work to pick the points and center them, whereas APCC-APPM is totally automated.

Since the keypad is a manual operation, there is the possibility of user error if you don't follow the instructions on the keypad exactly. If you make a mistake and press the wrong key, you can always exit and go back to the routine without losing the previous entries. With APPM the human input is minimal, and thus the possibility of mistakes are essentially gone.

The keypad routine for Dec arc modeling has two methods. The first is to center up to 8 points along a Dec arc where the object is located. You only need one Dec arc with 8 points, no need to bracket it. Centering is done either manually with a crosshair, or with plate solve software (which requires external software/hardware). Once all points are entered into the modeling, you simply change the keypad from Sidereal to Custom and you are off to the races.

The second method measures the actual drift rate of any given point along the Dec arc. You start by placing a crosshair on any star in the field and entering that data point. You let it drift for 5 - 10 minutes, recenter the same star and enter that point. The CP4/5 calculates the exact drift rate for that point in the sky and creates a custom rate from that. You can enter up to 8 points on a Dec line to get maximum precision. The CP4/5 draws a curve thru the points and interpolates rates between them. In practice I have entered just 3 points and gotten excellent results for 6 hours of tracking with 10 minute exposures.

Rolando

Sent: Wed, Feb 2, 2022 2:00 pm

Wade, so, I would need the latest APCC to make this work.  I have had issues with the latest one onl this computer and am awaiting some changes by Ray.  I am using 1.9.0.11 so I guess this option is on hold for me.  However, I thought Roland had described a correction method that only needed the hand controller.
Larry

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.