Re: Re-Meshing worm gear on a AP1600GTO

Craig Young

Following Rolando's suggestion I rang David at AP to discuss the procedure.  He is going to read it over the next couple of days and possibly edit it to match more closely what they do at AP to tweak the motors off the assembly line.  The overall impression I got from the phone conversation with David is how critical the meshing is to obtain a nice smooth movement of the axis.  A tiny variation in alignment will likely result in a harmonic oscillation which makes for a terrible sounding noise during a slew.  This can also happen over the years of use or dramatic temperature changes, requiring a very slight tweak to the meshing of the gears.  It is encouraging to hear a similar result from your experience.  Means we are both on the right track and hopefully it is helpful for others.

Craig