Re: [ap-ug] Life after the Stowaway

dvjbaja

You just described the Takahashi TSC 225.  

Despite mass produced Schmidt cass shortcomings, astrophotographers have been producing exceptional images with them.  

You mat be shocked to learn that even the 254mm f/14.5 Mak-cass has a tiny bit of image shift.  

AP should build more Stowaways and Mach 1 mounts.  LOL. 

Actually, I would love to see a premium Mak-newt like the 6" f/4 Robert Jones Vega.  

J

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note9, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 1/24/22 7:08 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] [ap-ug] Life after the Stowaway

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 07:51 PM, Roland Christen wrote:
Celestron and Meade pretty much put the kabosh on anything Cassegrain. Fact is they use plate glass optics and aluminum tubes, which together pretty much insures that you are constantly fiddling with the focus knob. Plus you have those nice heat plumes that run up the baffle tubes. Do people know that's happening? Do they really care? Probably not because they got them brand new and shiny at ridiculously low cost. And somehow they can make them work, although I'm completely baffled how they manage it.
I agree. It is kind of a shame that the EdgeHD (or equivalent for Meade) is the best SCT we can get right now. It would be nice if someone could make a better mouse trap. An SCT that didn't have all the cooling issues if for once and for all the could solve the mirror flop issue while still being able to focus without locking the mirror and useing an external focuser. It would be a game changer. That said, I am sure it would end up costing 3 or 4x what a EdgeHD or simular would cost, so seems we are stuck with what we have..

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.