Re: ASCOM Driver "freezing"?

Ray Gralak

The only cases where I have seen the AP V2 driver freeze have been when the COM port has had a problem (hardware or the low-level driver). That said, the error count in your screenshot indicates there is a communications problem. You could try increasing the timeout in the AP V2 driver in case that is the problem, but you should not need to set it above 300 msecs.

-Ray

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of wbelhaven via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2022 8:49 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] ASCOM Driver "freezing"?

Thanks guys ...

@midmoastro -- not sure what to look for. I'd think that the driver has to be installed, otherwise it wouldn't connect at all. What specifically am I looking for?

@Ray -- previously had everything star-connected to a Pegasus Ultimate Powerbox v2, then into a USB 3.1 hub (as an extender) and into the laptop from there. Changed that to go direct from the aforementioned hub to the mount (instead of through the Pegasus) but that didn't prove to be reliable either. I'll try bypassing the hub and connect a cable direct from mount to laptop if I can find one long enough. Is there a way to determine with certainty if the virtual COM port is locking up, and if so, what can be done about it?

@Steve -- Power Options already showed that setting on "Disabled". I went through Device Manager and disabled power management on anything in the USB tree, per your first attachment.

Still no success. Woke up to find the driver "not responding". Other than re-cabling per my comment above, any other suggestions? Is there a log file, or anything else I can gather next time it happens, that will help?  BIOS settings?

Here's a screen shot of the ASCOM driver panel. Number of errors looks high (or is that normal)? I think the mount itself is ok, because killing that process and restarting it fixes the problem. Is it possible that the driver is getting something it's not expecting and freezing?