Re: Piertech3 Adjustable Pier with AP1600 Experience

Christopher Erickson

In my mind, how many columns are used or the lifting capacity of individual columns isn't as important as the overall rigidity of the assembly. As long as the combined lifting capacity of the columns is at least, say, 4 times the expected maximum load on the columns. That is not a scientific conclusion. It is just a subjective one based on experience.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022, 5:59 PM Jack Huerkamp <Mallincamusa@...> wrote:

Christopher,

Linak makes columns with different thrust capacities – 1000, 1500 and 2500 Newtons.  For my system with AP1600 mount, 16” RC and Lunt 152, I fabricated a lifting column using two of the 2500 Newton Linak units.  The total lift capacity is 1124# and I have about 550# of mount, counterweights and scopes riding on them.

When you mentioned using 3 or 4 columns, were you considering using the 1000 Newton units instead of the 2500 Newton Linak columns?

Yours truly,

Jack

Jack Huerkamp

Jack's Astro Accessories, LLC