Re: Problem with PHD2 when also connected to Mach1 mount using Stellarium's Telescope Control plugin

John Davis

Hi Joel,

Yes I do agree that the preponderance of evidence would point to some issue with Stellarium being the culprit.  But there is the possibility that Stellarium is doing something perfectly legitimate – that PHD2 has never encountered, and PHD2’s code is not handling it correctly.  I don’t know what the breakdown would be when estimating the probability it is one piece of software vs the other.

The way that I’m looking at it:  PHD2 is the software that is misbehaving – it is failing to work correctly.  So to some degree, they should have at least a little  skin in the game of trying to figure out what is happening.  That’s my only frustration with those guys. 

So – if I go to the Stellarium guys and present this scenario – what are THEY going to do… probably say – well our software is communicating fine with the ASCOM driver, PHD2 is the one that is going crazy – you need to get THEM to look at THEIR problem.

Makes me think of that song from my High School Years  “Stuck in the middle with you…”  a One-Hit-Wonder from Stealers Wheel in 1972.

I’m glad that you have seem something similar – hope you can find out more next time you are out.  I plan to do some things tomorrow night (hopefully)… my problem is that I have so few chances to image – I hate to waste a night doing testing…

Thanks!

JD

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joel Short
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2022 9:50 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Problem with PHD2 when also connected to Mach1 mount using Stellarium's Telescope Control plugin

John,
Doesn't it seem as if the issue lies with Stellarium, not PHD2?  I have no evidence for this statement but I suspect that Stellarium is the problem.  The internal telescope control is a relatively new feature (vs the old Stellarium Scope) and I've only been using it for a few months.  I haven't noticed this issue with my AP1100 at home, but I've noticed it with a CEM120EC at my remote location.  Next clear night I'm hoping to do some more testing.
joel

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.