Re: Problem with PHD2 when also connected to Mach1 mount using Stellarium's Telescope Control plugin

John Davis

Hi Joel,

  Yes I do agree that the preponderance of evidence would point to some issue with Stellarium being the culprit.  But there is the possibility that Stellarium is doing something perfectly legitimate – that PHD2 has never encountered, and PHD2’s code is not handling it correctly.  I don’t know what the breakdown would be when estimating the probability it is one piece of software vs the other.

The way that I’m looking at it:  PHD2 is the software that is misbehaving – it is failing to work correctly.  So to some degree, they should have at least a little  skin in the game of trying to figure out what is happening.  That’s my only frustration with those guys.

So – if I go to the Stellarium guys and present this scenario – what are THEY going to do… probably say – well our software is communicating fine with the ASCOM driver, PHD2 is the one that is going crazy – you need to get THEM to look at THEIR problem.

Makes me think of that song from my High School Years  “Stuck in the middle with you…”  a One-Hit-Wonder from Stealers Wheel in 1972.

I’m glad that you have seem something similar – hope you can find out more next time you are out.  I plan to do some things tomorrow night (hopefully)… my problem is that I have so few chances to image – I hate to waste a night doing testing…

Thanks!

JD