Re: Separate power for mount - why?

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 01:15 PM, Roland Christen wrote:
There is no risk to damage to the CP controller. The main problem is undervoltage, so if you run many applications from one battery, the terminal voltage might drop below the threshold for the CP to operate properly. It is almost always an issue when slewing, not usually during tracking.
Thank you, that makes perfect sense.  In this case, at a dark site, I'll have the battery right beside the mount, heavy gauge wire, and at 200ah (and LiFePO4 chemistry) there's going to be no unexpected drops unless I somehow run it dead also.

To your later comment on switching power supplies, I take it that's one reason you recommend a dedicated power supply.  But those things are light, and it's all on one cart, there's no reason not to keep those separate.

Saving me hauling an extra battery is a goodness.  Thank you for the quick response.

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 01:24 PM, Emilio J. Robau, P.E. wrote:
I am curious if my practices are best management practices.   I keep my cameras on one power source, my dew heaters on another, and my mount on the third.  I don't mix the power sources.  Is this overly paranoid?
My difficulty with that is I use a Pegasus powerbox on the saddle as a dew controller, and also as a USB3 hub. While I have not experienced problems, it does worry me that a lot of noisy things come together there.  Running separate power to the dew heaters means a separate dew controller (or just running them 100%), and I still have the camera (and guide camera) and hub all together.

I just generally hope I can SEE the problem if one develops, e.g. as banding or something in images, and indeed I did in a case where the NUC noise affected a flat panel.  But a part of me always wonders if "all this noisy stuff is introducing some noise in my images that I cannot see"?   There are so many things we can do to mess up astro captures, it is very easy to be paranoid.  Murphy really is always after us.

Which brings up this question:   Are these things any use in astrophotography?

https://powerwerx.com/dc-line-noise-filter-powerpole-connectors

I think it's specifically aimed at noise in ham radios, I have no idea if it even filters the kind of noise we can get from PWM in a dew heater, or random noise from a NUC.  I've also got a bunch of ferrite cores I put around wires, but I am told they rarely actually do any good (but they are cheap and do no harm).

But there is a point where I have to say "if I do not see  a problem, there isn't a problem" and actually take some images.  :)

Linwood