Re: Piertech3 Adjustable Pier with AP1600 Experience

Dale Ghent

I think Bob's point is more along the lines of don't trust *only* software to keep the unwanted from happening. If you're going to automate roof closures, make sure that your roof control system has the appropriate *hardware* safety interlocks installed to prevent the unintentional guillotining of your telescope. This would mean things like making it physically impossible for the roof motor to run if the mount isn't in the correct orientation.

On Jan 10, 2022, at 12:03, Brian Valente <bvalente@...> wrote:

Bob Denny put the fear of God in me to not use ACP automation to park and then close the roof.
I'm not sure what to make of advice not to fully use automation software from an automation software supplier 🤔

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 8:43 AM Jerome A Yesavage <yesavage@...> wrote:
Yes, I have the Pier and I get fine images in all positions.

I park at P5, but Bob Denny put the fear of God in me to not use ACP automation to park and then close the roof. If I use automation, I have to have the pier lower so the roof always clears the scope no matter what the mount position. Now Vito, says you can put a park position sensor on the controller, but I have never gotten this to work. I have the proximity sensor and an extra toggle for showing the pier down, but I cannot get the roof controller to take these inputs reliably. It will open and then raise the pier, but it closes before the pier is down (notta so good).

This is the proximity sensor:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CWT7KW6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The toggle sensor is the same Honeywell that is used on my roof. Rock solid.

If any of you have this working reliably, please show me your wiring and settings on the roof controller. I fear I am doing something dumb (again).

--
Brian

Brian Valente
portfolio brianvalentephotography.com