Re: Piertech3 Adjustable Pier with AP1600 Experience

Woody Schlom

Psparkman,

Regarding moisture coming up from the bottom of an observatory.

Almost all the observatories I’m familiar with are built on concrete slabs – except for mine which is a mobile observatory and is built on top of a flat-bed aluminum trailer.  I’ve seen photos of a couple of observatories that were built on stilts and had wooden floors.

With the observatories built on concrete slabs or my aluminum trailer, the owner then seals the joint between the floor and walls with lots of silicone seal.

And finally, I (and most others) also install some kind of dehumidification system.  The permanent observatories usually use electric dehumidifiers (such as those used in boats).  I use chemical ones in my mobile observatory (Dri-Z-Air in my case).

In addition to moisture, you need to keep out insects and rodents.  Mice can be a terrible problem as they chew on wire insulation – and ruin everything.  I know a guy who owns one of the old white 16” Meade “Research” SCT’s on a Meade Alt/Az mount.  Mice got into his observatory, and then up and into the guts of his mount – and chewed through the wire insulation.  He had to completely disassemble the mount and then install all new wires.

I don’t know about observatories, but I know ants love to live in RV’s and once again, they eat the insulation off the wires.

Woody