Re: Piertech3 Adjustable Pier with AP1600 Experience

Woody Schlom

Psparkman,

You say you live in San Diego.  Are you a member of SDAA (San Diego Astronomy Association)?  I ask because I believe there are several of us who have Piertech piers.  Mine is the smallest one (single column) and it’s in my mobile observatory and only holds a CPC-1100 Deluxe EdgeHD w/ HyperStar (around 100 lbs. when my LS80DSII Ha solar scope is piggybacked).  So it’s nowhere near as large as you need.  But I’m pretty sure there are at least a couple of the larger dual column PierTech piers out at the club’s Dark-Sky property in Tierra del Sol (near Boulevard, CA).

I’d find a 5’ x 5’ observatory with that scope and mount VERY constrained.  My mobile observatory is 7.5’ x 10’ and I’m using an Alt/Az mount – so no CW’s swinging around.  Personally, I wouldn’t go smaller than 10’ x 10’ if I could help it with your gear.

Anyway, if you’re interested, I’m sure I can put you in contact with some club members who own the big dual-column PierTech piers – and I’m sure they’d be happy to demo them for you out at TDS (Tierra del Sol).  I’m not sure any of them have an AP-1600 or C14 on theirs (most seem to have Paramounts and various RC scopes), but the weights are probably similar.

And while out at TDS, you can see several types of observatories – roll-off roof, dome, etc.

Woody (you can contact me privately)