Re: Strain wave gear PEC limitations

Christopher Erickson

I think there may be a way to do effective PEC with a strain wave gear. Basically, characterize at least 180° and maybe even all 360° of the gear with a tracking compensation data set. Not a big deal with modern microcontrollers and processors, which have oodles of storage capacity and horsepower. Create the original dataset in a special jig at the factory. Have a decent algorithm and utility for updating portions of it in the field.

Of course if the behavior changes significantly under diff loads, everything could become more interesting.

I have an RST-135E, a Mach1, an 1100GTO and getting a 1600GTO in January. And I just ordered the ZWO mount and when I get it, I'll be tearing it apart and studying it carefully.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Sun, Dec 26, 2021, 7:01 PM Eric Weiner <weinere@...> wrote:
As the originator, what I was interested in was the info Roland gave us a few months ago regarding the limitations of strain wave gear mounts, and the reason its difficult to correct the for inherent error using a PEC.