Re: AP1600 Lost

Dale Ghent

To add, if the root cause for loss of orientation is still a mystery, another common cause is that the clock on your imaging computer has drifted substantially enough. This is evident if the loss of orientation appears to be on the RA axis only.

On Dec 9, 2021, at 08:46, Bob Enouen <renouen@...> wrote:

Ahh! Thanks so much Dale! I’ll do that at the next clear sky night - which will be Sunday night here in Springboro, OH.

Bob

Robert J. Enouen
Cell 513-504-4410

On Dec 9, 2021, at 8:12 AM, Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

Use the N/S/E/W buttons, either in APCC or in NINA, to drive the mount and point the telescope at a clear patch of sky, then a manual plate solve+sync inside NINA from the Imaging -> Plate Solve window. The mount will then know how it's oriented. There's no need to undo clutches and manually sling the OTA around to a park position.

The main question is /how/ your mount got to disoriented. One of the ways this can happen is if you have the mount parked in a particular position and then command it to unpark, but from a different position instead of Last parked or from the actual park position it was parked at.

On Dec 9, 2021, at 08:05, Bob Enouen <renouen@...> wrote:

Hi Ray,

My observatory-based AP1600 CP4 lost its location last night after a few days of no activity due to clouds. It’s been tracking great using a 300+ point APPM model on 180 second unguided exposures with a RC 16” that has a 3250mm focal length. I’m forwarding the APPC Pro logs and the NINA logs for the last two days for reference.

My question: I assume that if I physically release the RA/Dec gear boxes and move the mount to Park 3 and then Recal using Alt/Az in APPC Pro to that position this will get me close enough to then Recal using PlateSolving. I do not have a hand control. Is this correct?

Thanks, Bob

Robert J. Enouen
Cell 513-504-4410
20211205-024656-2.0.0.2006.912.log
20211208-172149-2.0.0.2006.6568.log
ApccZip-BOB_ENOUEN-2021-12-09-061744.zip