Re: Leo Galaxy Tour

Howard Ritter

Detail in dust lanes that would do credit to a scope of only 2 or 3 times the aperture, not 10x? Yeah, I feel your embarrassment!

The NGC 2903/2905 designations are interesting. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the NGC (wrongly) designate a feature in a galaxy as a second galaxy in its own right. The visual observations on which the catalog was based evidently didn’t go deep enough to show both the nucleus and the knot of 2903 as part of a single galaxy, and the observer took them for the nuclei of two galaxies.

Thanks for posting. They’re very elegant images.

—howard

On Nov 22, 2021, at 10:46 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Hello Astronuts,

While visiting Hawaii in the spring of last year I had a few clear nights and did a galaxy tour in Leo. Here are some of the images. All were short exposures, snapshots if you will, and I was mainly concentrating in resolving the cores of these galaxies at the expense of the deeper field. Thus the short exposures of 300 to 600 seconds in order to prevent saturating the cores and blowing up the detail. I only had a few days that were suitable for imaging these cool galaxies. All were taken with the 175 EDF on the 1600 Encoder mount, unguided.

They are in my staging area, I'm too embarrassed to show them to the rest of the Astrobin crowd Grin