From: Steve Armen <st5.armen@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Nov 22, 2021 10:11 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Mount Status Not Updating in MaxIm DL Observatory Control Window

This is just my opinion based on my experience. If a laptop is really the form factor you want to use, possibly for image acquisition and image processing, I suggest going with Lenovo. Here is one combination that would be very powerful. You can equip these machines with upto 64GB of memory and select an intel I9 core. That helps with image processing. This type of machine would be much more pricey than what you would find a Costco, however.

-Steve

ThinkPad P1 Gen 4 (16" Intel) Mobile Workstation

Spectacular on all fronts

  • Powered by Intel® with the latest Core™ or Xeon® processors
  • Up to NVIDIA® RTX™ GPUs
  • Redesigned thermals for increased graphics support
  • PCIe Gen 4 for faster, advanced storage technologies
  • Optional 5G and built-in WiFi 6E
  • Built-in ThinkShield security features
  • A powerful & visually stunning, 16" mobile workstation
  • 4th generation of the legendary ThinkPad® P1 laptop

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 7:51 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
At Ray's suggestion I plugged the mount into a USB socket on one side of the laptop and the camera into the opposite side (USB ports separated). That seemed to have fixed the issue. Normally I plug them in to the 2 adjacent USB ports, and that's where the trouble occurs.

I plan to get a new laptop now that I have hosed this one in the rainstorm. Any suggestions for a laptop that can process the ZWO 6200 full frame color images that are of enormous size? Right now the laptop cannot combine more than 4 of them before giving up the ghost. Not enough memory apparently.