Re: Heavy piggyback considerations

Robert Berta

I run an Officina Stellare 152mm APO  triplet refractor (same optics as your TMB)  with either an Officina Stellare 80mm APO refractor or TV 85 APO on my AP1100 and previously same setup on my AP 900. I use it with a SBIG STL full frame camera with filter wheel so that is heavy also. The smaller scopes get heavy when Ha solar gear attached to it so I over spec'd all the mounting gear including the same overbuilt OS CNC rings so it can remain rigid and solid when used for auto guide duty. The trick is to get a matching STRONG and longer dovetail top and bottom on the 152mm. I use Astro Physics for all dovetails Also get beefy rings for both. I use some CNC cut rings that Officina Stellare made for me. They are strong as hell.  The felt padding between the rings and scope should be thin and the ring clamp ring bolts tight so there is no chance for differential flexure. For counterweights.....try to get them close to the mount. Rather than less weight moved out to the counterweight end, it is better to add more weight closer to the mount to help reduce lever moment.

Don't try to use flimsy Chinese rings or dovetails.