Re: Heavy piggyback considerations

weems@...

It would depend on the rings. Thickness, machining, hinge and clamp design, materials, etc.  My 6”f9 has the original AP two-piece hexagonal rings, which are very rigid. I have Parallax rings on another 6”, and they are decent. Then I also have some Orion rings that I would never trust to hold anything valuable. Try mounting the piggyback scope on the rings without the TMB in them, and see how much flexure there is. That will give you a sense of how much the OTA is contributing to the structure.

I prefer a tandem arrangement.  The AP tandem bar is very stiff, especially if you use one of the longer AP saddles that will support most of its length.

Chip