Re: Takahashi TOA-130 on a mach1

Samir Patel

Hi Linda congratulations on your new Tak TOA-130, I use similar combination but with a Avalon T-Pod 130 (reason I bought 130, it was only available to be shipped out quickly). I acquired Mach 1 from Luca who responded below in pristine condition and based on his input I bought the T-Pod 130. I don’t have a pier extension, out of 10 or so times I’ve been out the scope has gone to hit the tripod leg once. I’d highly recommend the pier extension with toa130 but be aware the scope is heavy (as you’d already know) and depending on how tall you are it might get hard to put the scope on the mount. I’m 5’5”, with the t-pod 130 (which is taller than 110) I am not be able to use pier extension for the same reason. Hope this helps.

Samir

On Monday, November 15, 2021, Luca Marinelli <photo@...> wrote:
Good point, Michael. I did use the extension to connect the CP4 to the mount so it clears the tripod as well.

Luca 

On Nov 15, 2021, at 3:23 PM, Michael Kelly via groups.io <Michael=completedieselva.com@groups.io> wrote:

Linda,

I use the AP Q6280KIT bracket that attaches the control box adapter with the Mach1. I would suggest calling them and speak with George, he is a wealth of information and loves sharing his intel!

Best,

Michael

On Monday, November 15, 2021, 03:16:46 PM EST, Luca Marinelli <photo@...> wrote:

Hi Linda,

Congratulations on the new telescope! I have used the Mach 1 with an Avalon T-Pod 110 and you will not even need the flat surface adapter. The bolt pattern on the T-Pod is compatible with the ADATRI adapter for the Mach 1. The T-Pod is a fairly rigid tripod and it should be a good match for your optics. I used the Mach 1/T-Pod combination with a 10in f4 Newtonian for about a year until I moved the telescope to a AP1100 on a Losmandy tripod. Obviously the bigger mount and beefier tripod made for a much more substantial platform but the Mach1/T-Pod was no slouch either. If you have that equipment in your hands, no reason not to give it a go. The only limitation will be how much wind that system can tolerate.

Cheers,

Luca

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Linda Thomas via groups.io
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2021 2:28 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] Takahashi TOA-130 on a mach1

I recently bought a new-to-me but pristine TOA-130. I hadn’t planned to buy a larger telescope until I upgraded my mount from the current EQ6-r I’ve been using but this was too good an opportunity to pass up. The EQ6-r has actually done better than I expected but it’s really asking quite a lot of it for it to handle this  beast of a telescope.

I’m actually on the waiting list for a Mach2 but a friend with an older Mach1 is kindly going to lend me his mount in the meantime. I have an Avalon T-Pod 110 that I was thinking of mounting it on. Is that a good option for this combination? I won’t be traveling with this setup but it will have to set up/tear down periodically. I’ve got a scope cover I can use if the weather isn’t too scary but when the bigger storms come through it has the option to stay outside for longer periods.

I know I’l need the Flat Surface Adapter to attach the mount to the tripod. I’m also guessing I’ll need a pier extension to raise the mount up for the long telescope. I’m at 39N lattitude. Would an 8 inch extension be the right choice?

I might need a bracket to attach the control box to the tripod…not sure how he currently has his attached to a wood tripod now though I have that question out to him. If his current bracket isn’t suitable, what would I need for the T-Pod 110?

Thanks in advance!

Linda

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.