Re: Takahashi TOA-130 on a mach1

Samir Patel

Hi Linda congratulations on your new Tak TOA-130, I use similar combination but with a Avalon T-Pod 130 (reason I bought 130, it was only available to be shipped out quickly). I acquired Mach 1 from Luca who responded below in pristine condition and based on his input I bought the T-Pod 130. I don’t have a pier extension, out of 10 or so times I’ve been out the scope has gone to hit the tripod leg once. I’d highly recommend the pier extension with toa130 but be aware the scope is heavy (as you’d already know) and depending on how tall you are it might get hard to put the scope on the mount. I’m 5’5”, with the t-pod 130 (which is taller than 110) I am not be able to use pier extension for the same reason. Hope this helps.

Samir

On Monday, November 15, 2021, Luca Marinelli <photo@...> wrote:
Good point, Michael. I did use the extension to connect the CP4 to the mount so it clears the tripod as well.

Luca

On Nov 15, 2021, at 3:23 PM, Michael Kelly via groups.io <Michael=completedieselva.com@groups.io> wrote:

Linda,

I use the AP Q6280KIT bracket that attaches the control box adapter with the Mach1. I would suggest calling them and speak with George, he is a wealth of information and loves sharing his intel!

Best,

Michael

On Monday, November 15, 2021, 03:16:46 PM EST, Luca Marinelli <photo@...> wrote:

Hi Linda,

Congratulations on the new telescope! I have used the Mach 1 with an Avalon T-Pod 110 and you will not even need the flat surface adapter. The bolt pattern on the T-Pod is compatible with the ADATRI adapter for the Mach 1. The T-Pod is a fairly rigid tripod and it should be a good match for your optics. I used the Mach 1/T-Pod combination with a 10in f4 Newtonian for about a year until I moved the telescope to a AP1100 on a Losmandy tripod. Obviously the bigger mount and beefier tripod made for a much more substantial platform but the Mach1/T-Pod was no slouch either. If you have that equipment in your hands, no reason not to give it a go. The only limitation will be how much wind that system can tolerate.

Cheers,

Luca