Re: APCC Not Restarting Cleanly

Ray Gralak

Hi Jerry,

I am using ACP and Expert Scheduler. Normally after a night's run everything shuts down including APCC but
I have never been able to get the ASCOM driver to reliably shut down.
The ASCOM driver will automatically shutdown when all clients are disconnected from it. It's as simple as that. Disconnect all clients, and the driver will close.

That said, I believe that ACP users have been told it is okay to kill applications. This is not a good thing! If you kill an application that is connected to the driver, the driver will not be able to automatically shutdown in the future. That's because the client did not disconnect before it was terminated, so the driver's client client can never count down to zero. So, keep in mind that it's not the driver's fault if you kill an application connected to it.

Now I not longer see the driver in running Tasks and APCC will not restart saying it cannot create the virtual
port... have to reboot the system.
Killing the driver and/or APCC can leave settings in an indeterminate state. If need to shut the driver down manually, double-click the client counter box in the driver's UI. You will get a confirmation prompt, which if you accept will shut down the driver cleanly.

-Ray

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jerome A Yesavage
Sent: Sunday, November 14, 2021 4:10 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] APCC Not Restarting Cleanly

Hi,

I am using ACP and Expert Scheduler. Normally after a night's run everything shuts down including APCC but
I have never been able to get the ASCOM driver to reliably shut down. If it is alive APCC does not start
cleanly the following night. To prevent this I look in the Task Manager and end the task if it is still running the
following day. A minor pain but it works.

Now I not longer see the driver in running Tasks and APCC will not restart saying it cannot create the virtual
port... have to reboot the system.

Is it going under another name or is it one of the runtime brokers...?

Jerry Y

PS Proud owner of a new ZWO ASI6200M Pro.

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.