Re: Lost in space

Roland Christen

If you move the 1100 manually with clutches loose, then you have lost the alignment. The encoders do not respond to clutch movements, neither do they respond to you setting the scopes at right angles in a side by side arrangement. In both cases you would need to manually set the mount to the home position.

In your case you can simply send the mount Home (or Park3), then loosen the clutches and manually set the two axes to the homing marks on the sides. Once there, you tighten the clutches and you are good to go. No need to power cycle or mess around further.

The encoders will only read axis movements if the clutches are locked. You can unlock the two gearboxes (disengage the worms) and move the axes manually for balancing and the encoders will keep track of your position and not lose their pointing.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Nov 11, 2021 5:11 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Lost in space

OK, a variation on the same theme for my AP1100 with absolute encoders.  I was happily imaging on Arp273, even using the pointing and tracking model that I  had made just for that declination (I used +35 and +40 degrees declination).  I was ready to climb out of the dome and take over with my other computer located in a warm building.  I bumped the scope enough to throw it off by a degree or so.  I asked APPM to plate solve and recal.  It tried and failed, even using AllSky.  I remembered that with absolute encoders you could ask the mount to Go Home, which I did.  However, I could not remember what to do after it got to Home.  Then I tried going to Polaris, and doing a recal there (a bad idea). 

What was I supposed to do with the Go Home command?

Lee 

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.