Re: Lost in space

Ray Gralak

Hi Lee,

Assuming the bump caused a clutch slip, homing won't help. Except for the Mach2, the encoder doesn't know the mount position if you move the scope via the clutches.

But to answer your question, homing will automatically do a RECAL, so if the clutch had not slipped, the mount would be pointing to correct coordinates.

And regarding the plate-solver failing to plate solve, next time this happens, try moving the scope 5-10 degrees and solving again. If that still fails, note if there is a failure reason reported by the platesolver, and try to compensate for that (e.g. try a longer exposure if there are not enough stars).

-Ray

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lee Dodge
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2021 3:12 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Lost in space

OK, a variation on the same theme for my AP1100 with absolute encoders. I was happily imaging on Arp273,
even using the pointing and tracking model that I had made just for that declination (I used +35 and +40 degrees
declination). I was ready to climb out of the dome and take over with my other computer located in a warm
building. I bumped the scope enough to throw it off by a degree or so. I asked APPM to plate solve and recal. It
tried and failed, even using AllSky. I remembered that with absolute encoders you could ask the mount to Go
Home, which I did. However, I could not remember what to do after it got to Home. Then I tried going to Polaris,
and doing a recal there (a bad idea).

What was I supposed to do with the Go Home command?

Lee

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.