Re: Mach2 with CP five jiggling while tracking

Jeffc

I have the same issue.

I found if I slightly imbalance the RA (move counterweights down) the problem is mitigated.   Also fwiw I’m using a 12” SCT which I think is just at the limit of the Mach2.

However, I discovered this back in late September and have only had the mount out for a short session in October.

During the October session I was trying to image the moon.  I did a goto to the moon, then noticed on the live video the moon flopping back and forth.   I had the patio lights on and could see the RA oscillating a few degrees.   I tried to capture this on a smartphone video but it’s not noticeable.

I’ll upload a video of the moon flopping when I find it.

(I had some conversation with Roland on this but I haven’t followed up on my part as I wanted to gather more info.)

-jeff

On Nov 7, 2021, at 9:44 AM, Allen Ruckle <aruckle@...> wrote:

Last night while setting up my telescope for Astro photography I noticed, while trying to calibrate PhD 2,  I noticed the stars were short dashes in the east west axis. I had started the telescope up using the V2 ASCOM driver and I had started PhD, as I started PhD2 looping I noticed all the stars in the frame were dashes which I then tried to calibrate to see if that would alleviate the problem, however it would calibrate on the dashes as if they were stars.
      I then checked the image  from the main camera, the stars seem to be jumping back-and-forth. I then connected the hand controller to see if that would calm anything down, no luck, so all I could do to proceed by turning off the APV 2 ASCOM driver and PhD 2 and run the telescope unguided, under only the control of the hand pad.

it was as if the tracking was the result of two systems fighting for control.

has anyone seen this issue before with the Mach2 p, and corrected the problem.

thank you for any help you can provide
aruckle