Re: Preventing Pier Crashes

Ray Gralak

Hi Bruce,

I've been using NINA to image with my AP1100 (no encoders) in my observatory. I connect NINA to the AP
driver and everything is working fine. The only thing I have not done is to set up safety limits to avoid any
potential pier crashes should things go awry. I have not used APCC. So, can someone provide some
direction as to what steps I need to take to set these up in APCC?
Dale Ghent did a great writeup on using NINA with A-P mounts. If you haven't read this yet, please take a look:

https://daleghent.com/nina-and-astro-physics-mounts

If you do not desire to have the scope image in counterweight-up positions, you can just enable meridian and horizon limits in APCC and set the limit actions for each to "Stop Tracking. You don't even need to configure the limits. This will protect the mount from pier collisions.

If you want to delve more into setting limits, take a look at the sections in the APCC help for Meridian and Horizon limits. At first, setting up meridian limits may seem complicated, but it will become easy once you have done it once.

-Ray