Re: Electro-Static Discharge Protection for Older Mounts

Jeff B

Perhaps Wes but I would not recommend it.

But I DO recommend the boards be installed by AP if your mount can take them.  My Parallax 250 Observatory mount uses the AP servo system.  It's a good 12 to 15 years old, did not have the boards at the time of make and both RA and DEC motor/encoders eventually went belly up from static (with the last one about 6 months ago and they are heavy duty servos too).   When the first one went out a few years ago, I got two replacement assemblies from Maxim, sent them to AP and they installed the boards for, at the time, around $200 each.  It's' interesting to me that with the new motor/encoder/anti-static/surge boards, the mount seems slightly more accurate in slewing and tracking....go figure.

I also have a freshly overhauled Mathis MI-500 (the BEAST) and it too has the AP servo system but without the static/surge boards as well as two AP1200s, and an AP900.  The APs so far have been rather bulletproof and the Mathis has fresh motors/encoders (new old stock from Mathis), but my experiences with the Parallax 250 and its uncommanded slewing when the motors/encoders failed, gives me a bit of pause for my other mounts.

Jeff

On Tue, Nov 2, 2021 at 11:26 AM Scott Cooke <TSCOOKE64@...> wrote:
Wes,
I don't know.  I asked that question because I wanted to do it myself for my 400 mount.  Unfortunately, they don't have an ESD board for this mount so I never found out.
Thanks,
Scott

On Tue, Nov 2, 2021 at 8:05 AM Wes Atchison via groups.io <wa5tku=atchisonlocal.com@groups.io> wrote:
Is it possible for the board to be installed without sending the motor assemblies back to AP?  How much does this addition cost?

Wes
WA5TKU