From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Woody Schlom
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2021 1:45 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] GPS Solutions

Mike,

I don't know about the CP4 controller, but I've used two different Star-GPS
units on my Mach1 with CP3. These are tiny little GPS antennas you stick
somewhere where they have a view of the sky -- and then there's a thin cable
that comes out of the unit, goes to a AA battery power supply, and finally into
a DB-9 RS-232 port on your mount.

With the old CP3 controllers, they had a built-in 6v power port that worked
perfectly with the Star-GPS, but I understand that external power supply port
is gone now with the CP4. So you'd need the newer Star-GPS with its own AA
battery power supply. And I suspect that's the only one you can buy now.

These are made in Canada and you night have to order directly online from
them. The actual GPS unit is standard, then you order the correct cable for
your specific mount. One cable is included in the purchase price I think.

There's a little flashing L.E.D. light in the GPS antenna that lets you know what
it's doing (searching for a fix, has a fix, has sent the data to your mount). I
then set my AP HC to accept external time/date/location data.

I put a little Velcro patch on the bottom of my Star-GPS antenna, and then a
matching Velcro patch on the top of my scopes. Of course, once the data is
fed to your mount, you no longer need it connected and can completely
remove it -- until the next time you fire the system up..

Woody