Re: GPS Solutions

Woody Schlom

Mike,

I don't know about the CP4 controller, but I've used two different Star-GPS units on my Mach1 with
CP3. These are tiny little GPS antennas you stick somewhere where they have a view of the sky -- and then there's a thin cable that comes out of the unit, goes to a AA battery power supply, and finally into a DB-9 RS-232 port on your mount.

With the old CP3 controllers, they had a built-in 6v power port that worked perfectly with the Star-GPS, but I understand that external power supply port is gone now with the CP4. So you'd need the newer Star-GPS with its own AA battery power supply. And I suspect that's the only one you can buy now.

These are made in Canada and you night have to order directly online from them. The actual GPS unit is standard, then you order the correct cable for your specific mount. One cable is included in the purchase price I think.

There's a little flashing L.E.D. light in the GPS antenna that lets you know what it's doing (searching for a fix, has a fix, has sent the data to your mount). I then set my AP HC to accept external time/date/location data.

I put a little Velcro patch on the bottom of my Star-GPS antenna, and then a matching Velcro patch on the top of my scopes. Of course, once the data is fed to your mount, you no longer need it connected and can completely remove it -- until the next time you fire the system up..

Woody

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of
michael mccann via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2021 6:58 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] GPS Solutions

Hi
I’m looking for a GPS solution that I can use with GTOCP4 or windows.
Preferably something I can use with GTOCP4. My issue is that I’m so close to
AZ and NM border my internet, a mobile phone, can’t always decide whether
or not I’m in pacific or mountain time zone. I use the GPS device Losmandy
sells for my G11. I’d like to hear everyone’s favorite solution for GTOCP4. I
wonder also if there’s a way to adapt the Losmandy GPS to connect to
GTOCP4.

Cheers

Mike

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.