Excellent points.  The heat shed off of hot top (gee, I wonder how it got that name...) can be a killer, especially for Dobs.  Fortunately for us, our refractor apertures are a bit off of the ground.

I prefer grass and pavers too, a great combination. 👍👌

Jeff

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 8:38 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Make sure you use pavers under the feet, otherwise they will slowly sink into the grassy soil.

From: fernandorivera3 via groups.io <fernandorivera3=yahoo.com@groups.io>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Oct 11, 2021 7:29 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Mach2 with TEC180 for visual

IMHO if using a great quality portable pier or tripod for your AP GTO & scope, a better surface is very solid ground (grassy field) rather than a large concrete or cement foundation due to the heat buildup during the day. At night all that stored heat radiates upwards & should affect the views thru the scope. On a wide open grassy field the ground should cool down much faster.

Fernando