Re: Fine tuning PHD2 settings for 1100 with Encoders #Guiding

Andrew J

Hi Brian.

This is really helpful!! You are right, as a software developer I keep thinking this is just an equation that needs to be solved and all I need is the right inputs. No doubt there is some "artistry" involved. That said, I do want to at least understand what the 'theoretical" settings should be and use those as my starting point.

I think in large part I am just getting hung up on the terminology. If I look at this output from PHD2 Guiding Assistant, are you saying that my P-P Arc Seconds is the Declination, Peak of 0.73 px (1.44 arc sec)? If yes, how does this help me determine what MinMo I should use as a starting point? I took this screen shot before I hit the finish button, but it came back and recomended a RA MinMo = 0.20 and a DEC MinMo = 0.30.

As mentioned in a previous post, I did another imaging run on Saturday night and all I changed was the aggression on both axis to 0.63 or RA and 0.72 for DEC and my graph fattened out quite a bit. I was able to achive an RMS of 0.23 on one point during the night. I think by relaxing the Aggression it alllowed the encoders to "do their work".

I have been imaging from a permant setup for about 6 years now (previously with a Mach1) and guiding has always been my achillies heel. I get it close enough to get round stars, but have to admit I really don't understand it. Now that I have a mount that can track extreamly accurately, I want to make sure I am using it to its full potential.

FYI. In case it helps. In addition to the 1100GTO mount, I am also using a  Tele-Vue NP101is. I bought this scope specifically for the 1100's "shack down cruise". I wanted a short scope to give me plenty of room for error around the Pier until I get APCC, SGP, etc. fine tuned. My primay scope is a TEC 140, but I am not putting on until I get everything working together and able I am able to have several all night imaging runs without issue. For guiding, I am use the Baader Vario Finder 10x60 along with AP's bracket to help reduce flexure. Primary camera is an ATIK 16200 and guide cam is a ZWO ASI178MM.

Andrew