Re: APPM + ASTAP - Inaccurate FOV

Ray Gralak

Or did I misunderstand and APPM doesn't read the headers before plate solving?
There are several different paths that APPM uses for plate-solving. APPM reads the FITS headers but doesn't parse and use every
value in every case.

I'm also curious about the "historical" aspect of the plate solve and sync. That uses the user's declare scale
information right? Maybe avoid this whole mess and just apply the historical solution to the run as well?
Historically, users calculated camera image scale based on manufacturers' specs (e.g. 100mm F/7 should be 700mm focal length).
However, that specification was rarely exact, and in some cases, it was pretty far off.

So, when a new user of APPM does a mapping run, the image-scale is assumed to be inaccurate, thus the reason for the "Refine image
scale" checkbox. So for mapping runs, APPM "let" the plate solver apps use image information in the FITS headers, and would update
the image scale appropriately.

However, once image-scale has been established and saved in APPM, the "Plate Solve Now", etc. buttons simply used the previously
established image scale, instead of assuming it might be wrong.

-Ray

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of ap@CaptivePhotons.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 5, 2021 2:58 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] APPM + ASTAP - Inaccurate FOV

Ray wrote:

Still, it would be easy to include a checkbox in APPM's ASTAP config to exclude the -fov argument in the
command line for use with applications like NINA that provide the necessary FITS header values.

When I saw the error message, it looks like APPM is reading the file headers anyway, could it not just notice if
it has everything, and if not use -fov 0, if so omit?

Or did I misunderstand and APPM doesn't read the headers before plate solving?

I'm also curious about the "historical" aspect of the plate solve and sync. That uses the user's declare scale
information right? Maybe avoid this whole mess and just apply the historical solution to the run as well?

At least now we all understand, straight from the author, how it works. Thanks for being patient through that
process.

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.