Re: Hello All and pardon the newbie questions.....

Howard Hedlund

We recommend both the FTDI dongles and the Keyspan by Tripp-Lite.  Both have excellent drivers.  We now sell the FTDI USB to Serial converter because we use the FTDI chipset in the GTOCP4/5.  The same FTDI driver works for both the dongle and the on-board chip. 

The Keyspan has the advantage of offering a utility that can be extremely handy for diagnostics.  We DO NOT recommend the cheaper and more generic Tripp-Lite converters – only the more premium Keyspans.

Mag. 7 or Better Skies!

Howard Hedlund

Astro-Physics, Inc.

AP Phone: 815-282-1513

Direct Phone:  815-315-7015

www.astro-physics.com

Please include this e-mail with your response.

P Consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steven Panish
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2021 8:44
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Hello All and pardon the newbie questions.....

I agree the USB->serial converter is all you need to be happy with the CP3.  The FTDI chipset has been the standard for about 20 years, and you can download drivers direct from them.  The Prolific chipset used to have a bad reputation, but I tried one recently, loaded the latest driver, and it worked well.   On the other hand, I tried a no-name that was about $5 from Ebay and the drivers were junk.  Kept grabbing new logical serial ports on the PC.

Steve 

Steve

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 11:29 PM Jeffc <jeffcrilly@...> wrote:

Welcome….

> On Sep 29, 2021, at 1:34 PM, Michael Kelly <Michael@...> wrote:
>
> .  The mount I've bought has a CP3 controller and wondered some insight here in how to integrate. Do I need the CP4 to get the USB-B port which is not on a CP3 but on the CP4?

You can use a Serial -> USB adapter on the CP3.     The brand you want to buy is, i think, Tripp-Lite KeySpan.   

Tripp Lite Keyspan High-Speed USB to Serial Adapter, PC & Mac (USA-19HS) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000VYJRY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4SPYE16DG4W4NXRE421F

I’ve used a few different serial/usb adapters with the CP3, but iirc the KeySpan adapter was recommended, and it is the adapter I use with the CP3 and other serial needs like the robofocus (Tho I no longer use robofocus).   Other adapters might have questionable chips which aren’t as reliable.

-jeff

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.