Thanks Rolando
I see I skipped the preliminary balancing section.

Cheers

On Sep 29, 2021, at 10:43 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

I-Optrons don't have clutches, they only have gear release.

The 1600 has clutches which allow basic balancing. For fine balance you can use the gear release knob, but this should be done only in Park3 position for both axes precision balancing!
Please read the manual to keep from damaging your worm wheels

From: michael mccann via groups.io <mmccawsprojects@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Sep 29, 2021 11:22 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] More basic mount questions

Hi again
Getting a feel for AP1600 clutch methods. It seems like the AP clutch system is more like the Losmandy G11 than the iOptron iEq30 Pro ( which in reality is how the iEq30 mount engages the worm gear).
So when achieving balance on the G11 I would loosen the clutches to balance RA and Dec.  Your manual says to keep the clutches hand tight on both axis. Disengage the gear mesh as one balances.
My question is even though you disengage the gear mesh, wouldn’t you still want to disengage the clutch on the axis your balancing? So you know your design better, what am I missing?

Cheers
Mike