Re: Is this tilt in the image train?

Joseph Beyer

Edited

Tom,  

I have a 2016-2017 vintage FSQ-106, the model where they changed the color from white to a bluish white.  I’ve used a full frame Nikon D800 for several years and it will produce pinpoint stars across the entire sensor.  I’ve not had a problem with my current scope as long as I’ve owned it. 

I recently purchased an ASI6200 and am dealing with the same problem you are.  Given my prior camera experience I know it’s the new camera causing problems. Initially I connected my filter wheel to the camera with the stock tilt adjuster sandwiched in between.  Images were terrible with elongation of stars nearly across the frame.  I removed the tilt adjuster and immediately got better stars but not great yet. Here is the first test image with 30 X 90 second exposures (45 min) https://www.astrobin.com/wgfes0/0/ . The image is completely full frame with no cropping and was calibrated with only darks and bias as I was interested in seeing what degree of vignetting I was going to get with m48 connectors.  I’ve since purchased a Gerd Neumann CTU but haven’t gotten it set up due to the terrible conditions we’ve had out here in CA. 

My first guess is tilt for your system.  

Joe

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.