Re: semi-OT: deterring critters in the obsy

Woody Schlom

Steve,

Yup.  I agree with everything you said.  The super thin copper “Mouse-Mesh” is the only way I’ve found to keep them out of things.  And then I set electronic mouse traps – the ones that zap at a zillion volts.

And yes, I’ve found two mice in my electronic traps.  The second one climbed over the rotting dead body of the first – only to get zapped also.

Woody

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steven Panish
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2021 2:57 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] semi-OT: deterring critters in the obsy

Myth.  Mice really don't care about perfumy odors, or any other as far as I can tell.  They also don't mind living in close proximity to rotting fellow dead mice.  I have a blueberry farm and with massive quantity of fruit comes lots of rodents.   Wire mesh is about all that deters them.  There are some good traps available as well.  If you poison them you will also be poisoning critters that eat the dying mice, and they have a knack for finding a place to crawl into while dying that produces maximum odor if they have gotten inside anything.

Steve

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 9:51 AM Christopher M <mirfak@...> wrote:

Apparently (haven't tried it but have heard) that regular Irish Spring soap shavings or pieces, placed in ziplock baggies with holes poked to let the scent out, placed around the inside base of the observatory, will keep mice away.  

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.