Re: Off Topic-NUC Computer

Sébastien Doré

I can also vouch for this particular Minix model. I've been using the J50C-4 Max since last April with no issue whatsoever. I can indeed  run a powerbox advance client, Ascom OCH, APPC, NINA (Canon DSLR), PHD2 (QHY5III-174M guider), APT (ASI183MC Pro), and SharpCap Pro (Polemaster) all at once and I get a snappy user experience. 

Adding Stellarium to the mix shows the hardware's limit though (GPU is an onchip Intel UHD 605 with shared memory) and significantly impairs performance. So I just don't run it while imaging.I suspect it would be the same with other realtime planetarium software.

One thing to account for is the relatively short range of the internal WiFi patch antennas. These are perfect for indoor usage or if you have an outdoor signal booster in your backyard for example. But in my case, I just bought 2 of these (watch out for the U.Fl connector type on your wifi adapter if you go this route) : 

Monted them on a side panel and it almost quadrupled the orignial range around my house (about 70 feet radius now) with no other modifications. Enough to reliably connect to my home router from my backyard portable setup in most places.

Of course ethernet works just fine too for that matter. 

It is true the 12V input is protected and needs to be below about 13.V for it to power on but I found that to be a problem only with a freshly charged battery. My workaround is to connect and power up evey other equipment (mainly cameras through the PPBAv, heater bands and the Mach2) before hitting the power on button. Never had any issue after I started doing that routinely.

Sébastien

De : main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> de la part de Bill Long <bill@...>
Envoyé : 25 septembre 2021 19:43
À : main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Objet : Re: [ap-gto] Off Topic-NUC Computer

I dont think it would have any problems running all of that. I have a lot of devices on it. Powerbox, MGBoxV2, PL16803 camera, CFW5-7, Ultrastar, AG Thermal box, Nitecrawler, etc and mine is the older version with less power. 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Steve Reilly <sreilly24590@...>
Sent: Saturday, September 25, 2021 4:40 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Off Topic-NUC Computer

For me with APCC, ACP Expert, MaxIm, FocusMax, and the rest of the automation software/hardware and weather stuff that may be pushing it for me but then again I often over do the specs to be safe.

-Steve

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Long
Sent: Saturday, September 25, 2021 6:10 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Off Topic-NUC Computer

I use a MiniX Mini PC that works well. The specific model I use is no longer made, but they have a newer one:

Works really good, but the one thing to keep in mind is that it really wants a 12v regulated power input. If the voltage is too high, it wont turn on.

I run Voyager, SkyX, APCC Pro, PHD2, and my AGO Thermal Control software on it no problem. This one has a better processor than mine as well. The Win 10 Pro they include is authentic as well, which can be a challenge from some Amazon mini-PC products. 

If you decide you want more RAM or storage you can upgrade it. 8GB of memory and 240GB of storage should be plenty though, IMO.

-Bill

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.