Re: Some APCC mis-information on Cloudy Nights

Bill Long

You dont need that box in the first 3 photos. That is not provided with the mount anyhow and its intention is to convert physical serial devices to a USB output.  It is not necessary.

On the CP4, you see one USB and one Ethernet on the left side. That you plug into your computer. You can plug one or both of them in if you would like. Motor cable runs to the connector labeled motor. The encoder box under the RA axis has a cable that plugs into the port labeled encoder. The hand controller (if you have one) plugs into the port labeled keypad. The power plugs into the port labeled 12v DC.

On your PC you install the following:

  1. ASCOM Platform: https://github.com/ASCOMInitiative/ASCOMPlatform/releases/download/v6.5SP1Release/ASCOMPlatform65SP1.exe
  2. AP V2 ASCOM Driver: Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver and Tutorial Videos (gralak.com)
At this stage you have the basic stuff to connect your PC to the mount and software to the mount that uses ASCOM. You also have the platform installed so other ASCOM devices can work, such as focusers, cameras, filter wheels, etc.

The next step would be to install the software you want to use to control the mount and your imaging devices. That will vary, based on taste. Some common ones include:
  1. Starkeeper Voyager
  2. NINA
  3. Sequence Generator Pro
  4. PRISM (which you said you already bought)
Since you said you will use a DSLR make sure the software package you install allows you to do that. Not all of them support DSLR cameras. Voyager for example does not, as there is no native DSLR support and I am not aware of any functional DSLR ASCOM drivers. Someone else may know better than me on that topic, as I do not use DSLR's for imaging.

You did mention you bought the mount used, so APCC Pro would require a license transfer from the previous owner to you. Depending on when the seller obtained APCC (or if they did at all) this experience will vary and you should contact Astro-Physics to sort that out.

-Bill