Re: Off Topic-NUC Computer

Renan

Running an Intel NUC for 2 years without  any problems.

NUC: I3, 8 Ram, 256 ssd, rated for 19V but, according to the manual, you could use 12V and that is what I am using. Win 10 Pro.

It is at my backyard and connected with Remote Desktop with my indoor NB.

I do not know if an I5 will allow to download the files faster, I doub it.

De: Steve Reilly
Enviado: sábado, 25 de septiembre de 2021 13:00
Para: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Asunto: Re: [ap-gto] Off Topic-NUC Computer

I started this thread back in July and here it is September and I’ve finally built the deck and have the dome almost finished. I need to install the motors and controls but I’m back on the NUC again as the ROR computer seems to have an issue with the USB ports not keeping the SX guide camera active. I was headed this way anyhow so what I’ve found is listed below and could use some feedback from those using NUCs o run their systems.

Shared Product: Industrial Fanless Intel Whiskey Lake NUC With Dual LAN

Shared Configuration

Memory (Select QTY)
8 GB SO-DIMM DDR4 3200
Primary Storage Drive
256 GB M.2 22x60 MLC SSD
Wireless Connectivity or DIO Expansion (one USB will be depopulated if 4G or DIO is chosen)
Intel Wide-Temp Wireless-AC 9260 802.11ac Wi-Fi & BT 5.1 Card
Antennas for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or 4G LTE
2x Wi-Fi - Dual Band Terminal Antenna, 161mm (6.34")
Serial Port Expansion (Cannot be selected with 4G)
RS-232 COM Port Header Cable - AT/Everex
Auto Power On
None Selected
Port Blocking Kit
None Selected
Mounting
None Selected
AC Adapter
Power Adapter DC 60 W, 12 V, 5 A - North American Power Cord
Operating System (Primary Storage Req.)
Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit
Assembly & Validation
Standard Build (ships in 3-5 business days from parts availability)
Warranty
2 Year Standard Warranty

Does this look to be capable enough to do the job without being underpowered? The size of these M2.2260 drives are small and expensive but my thought was to use an external 1TB hard drive located in my ROR control room connected by an USB2 active extension cable. The NUC will be mounted on the pier close but not so close it could be in contact with the mount/telescope. Cabling would be minimized by using a powered USB hub on the telescope for cameras, focuser, dew controller, rotator, and whatever else comes up. It has guided well with the cables as is but this should minimize cabling substantially.

I’d appreciate and thoughts/concerns/comments you before I order. I’m way more use to building desktop systems for observatories and this will be the 1st NUC.

-Steve

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Reilly via groups.io
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2021 1:12 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] Off Topic-NUC Computer

Hey Gang,

In the process of setting up a 12’ Astro Haven dome and moving my 12.5” RC and AP1200 mount from the ROR to the dome. In the process I’m contemplating replacing the observatory computer with a NUC to both shorten the cabling and have a more compact unit. I counted the ports as the computer is now configured and have the following needs:

Serial ports=7 I have a StarTech ICUSB23241 4 Port Industrial USB to RS232 Serial Hub but that still leaves 3 needed ports (focuser, rotator, AP1200 backup, Dew Heater Controller, Flat Panel, Boltwood, and dome controls)

USB ports = 4 including the one for the Serial Hub, Guider camera, Main Camera, mouse and keyboard

Network minimum=1 then use the 8 port Gigabit switch I have ( 1 AP1200, 1 Computer network,  onsite pan cameras (3), etc.)

Display port=1 HDMI or DVI

Anticipating fiber optic internet connections in the next month or so I also ran Cat6 cabling for network switch and mount.

So with that in mind the ports, mainly serial are what have me second guessing the NUC. I have, almost ready to ship out, a OnLogic NUC for a friends SRO system but that’s way more then I care to spend although it has all the necessary ports to hook everything up directly with hubs and so on. So based on this what would be a reasonable budget for what I’m looking for in a quality, reliable NUC? Even if I use the existing desktop computer I have now it will be without all the extender cables I’m using now as the computer is in the warm room 20’ away but the idea of a sealed fanless computer really appeals to me for this type of usage. Hence I’m looking for ideas to explore while this project continues, in of course, the hottest time of the year.

Thanks,

Steve

Avast logo

El software de antivirus Avast ha analizado este correo electrónico en busca de virus.
www.avast.com

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.