Re: semi-OT: deterring critters in the obsy

Eric Baumgartner

For what it’s worth, Dale, my wife and I had good luck with diluted peppermint oil spray against wasps that nest behind house shingles. We used the treatment described here, and it worked famously:

We had to spray the problem wall twice over the course of a week, but after the second application, no more wasps.

Pure peppermint oil is expensive, but a little goes a long way.

Eric Baumgartner
Redding, CT USA

On Sep 24, 2021, at 4:26 PM, Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'll like a lot of these ideas. I think, for stuff under and around the mount, I'll give the pepermint extract a go first as it'll likely raise the fewest eyebrows when I tell the other users that I'll be spraying regularly for bugs around the observatory.

On Sep 17, 2021, at 16:51, Joel Short <buckeyestargazer@...> wrote:

I do two things.
1.  Twice per year (early Spring and early Fall) I spray an insecticide called Tempo SC Ultra on the outside walls and perimeter of my roll off roof obs.  This stuff works great, for other areas of the house too.
2.  I put a little bit of peppermint extract in a small spray bottle and once a month I spray the inside of the obs, especially around any cracks.

I haven't seen a spider in years in my obs; wasps are a completely different story.  Nothing deters those buggers.

joel