Re: semi-OT: deterring critters in the obsy

Christopher Erickson

If it let out some big cat howls, it was looking for love, not a fight. And one or more people in the group must have had indoor cats and their clothes were saturated with cat musk.

Hunting cats make no noise whatsoever.

I thought you needed to know that. LOL!

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 1:43 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have coyotes in the cornfields nearby that howl up a storm whenever a distant police car sounds his siren. They also howl at the Moon when it rises over the treetops.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Sep 22, 2021 6:36 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] semi-OT: deterring critters in the obsy

It's a spooky sound.  Sitting out next to the telescope and hearing a deer being killed in the neighbor's yard leaves a person feeling a bit exposed.  I still prefer the four legged neighbors rather than the two legged variety!  

There have been a number guys in the local astronomy club using the darker regional parks who have had experiences with the local mountain lions.  For whatever reason a lion approached the groups after dark and let out a few big cat howls.  The call of the wild was followed by a rapid packing of vehicles and calling it a night.

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.