Re: Trouble with MaxDome II slaving to APPM

Ray Gralak

APPM’s calling the shots in regards to the maxdome moves, so I betcha I’d be calling for help here too.
Actually, APPM is not calling the shots. Because of the poor API design of the ASCOM Dome drivers, the dome driver is usually “dumb” and doesn’t know about mount geometry, so APPM’s “Active” mode usually won’t work.

So, the only way to use a dome with APPM is to put it in “passive” mode where it just watches the dome’s movement until it stops. APPM has configurable delays to wait before starting for checking for dome movement, as well as a time to wait after the dome stops moving.

-Ray

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Seb@stro
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2021 9:59 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Trouble with MaxDome II slaving to APPM

This really isn't the right forum for MaxDome-II support.

Not sure why it wouldn’t be...

APPM’s calling the shots in regards to the maxdome moves, so I betcha I’d be calling for help here too.

Funny how some people seem to first think of integrated systems issues as if all problems can only be solved by troubleshooting single component as if it were sitting alone.

Seems pretty obvious to me that when two (or more) pieces of hardware and/or software are integrated together, there are not so many other options but to inquire for help from the parties involved (be it a manufacturer, developer, vendor, etc.)

I unfortunately can’t be of much help to the op’s issue, but man I would definitely not discourage him asking for help here about this !

Sébastien

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.