Re: Dovelm162 springs too short or assembled wrong?

M Hambrick

Here is an update on the springs if you are looking for some different options.

I went to the hardware store and found some #127 compression springs in their assortment. The #127 does not mean anything to me so I have provided the specifics below, as well as some photos comparing the OEM springs to the #127 springs.

Although slightly larger in diameter, the #127 spring will still fit inside the recess in the clamp. The compressed length is short enough that it will allow the clamp to be closed all the way. There are a couple of things that I don't like however, and I am going to keep using the OEM springs:

  1. The 1" long #127 springs have to be compressed slightly to engage the threads of the locking knob. There is enough compression on the spring that if you loosen the clamp too far, the spring could pop it out of the receptacle and you will find yourself searching in the dark for the clamp and locking knob. With the OEM spring there is no compression on the spring and when I loosen the clamps, I just unscrew then until I do not see the clamp moving out any more. At this point I am able to install or remove my dovetail plate, and it still requires several more turns to completely remove the clamp.
  2. I can't tell for certain, but I believe that the OEM springs are stainless steel. Maybe Marj, Roland, or George can comment on this. Although stainless steel is inferior to high carbon steel music wire for making springs, it is less susceptible to corrosion.

A good compromise might be to have a slightly longer version of the OEM spring. I think 5/8" would be a good option.