From: ap@... <ap@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Sep 11, 2021 12:39 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] AP1100 carrying to dark site - SUV mount?

Jimwc wrote:

  • Original packing is the best. AP packed it the way they did for a reason.

My failing memory is showing here but… when AP packs them, are the gears disengaged, or left engaged?

I have no memory of needing to engage them, I think they shipped it engaged, but am not sure.

I do have the original packing, but wanted to save it from wear and tear in case I ever need to return it.

Seriously – to all those showing me case solutions – I get it, seen most of them posted elsewhere.  I’m not against it and may end up with one of those.  I was just looking for evaluation of this possibility.

Donald Rudny wrote;

  • On your idea to bolt it to the floor, I would be concerned about the connection to the floor of your SUV.

That looks pretty manageable.  I have a compartment under the floor, so there’s a removable panel.  I had a bike mount there before so am familiar with it.  There’s plenty of room to put a backing board to distribute the load as well.  I’m really not worried about that aspect (well, again, absent an accident, but all bets are off for any packaging in an accident).

It’s vibration that concerns me, since in that position you cannot disengage the gears, at least without it flopping around.

J. Belden wrote:

  • I just put my mount on my front seat and buckled it in, seriously I did.  Also, did the same for C14, no issues.  Though, now I have an AP1600 so thats a bit too heavy for either seat.  So I have been using the factory boxes in my truck bed but only went to one star party this year.

I’ve thought of that also.  With my CEM70 on the Berlebach, I actually just had a big pile of moving blankets, lots of padding, and disconnected the gears and locked the RA axis (with a pin) and laid the tripod + mount down on the pads.   It worked great.  The AP1100 is too heavy for that (plus some other structural reasons).   But I’m looking for something similarly easy, and just have no (other) use for a case.  It’s just something else big and awkward I need to find room to store.  When not in use, the mount lives on the tripod, it won’t be put in a case.