Re: Interesting way to image with a cheap mount

Bill Long

Totally agree. Mounts are the most important piece of the Astrophotography package, as is using them correctly and to their full potential. Similarly good optics that are well collimated, properly thermal managed, and well focused are important as well. The better you manage and use the overall kit, the better your data is. Some people prefer to take shortcuts or the cheap route and just hope to fix it in post. I see this daily when looking through Astrobin submissions as a submitter for IOTD. Out of the roughly 9 pages of images I review per day in my queue, maybe one of two of them meet my bar on a good day. Most days I select none.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2021 4:47 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Interesting way to image with a cheap mount

My point was, if you have poor tracking, the underlying image is not sharp, but soft. So you can remove the stars and replace them with sharp stars, but that doesn't make the underlying image sharp. It just gives the appearance that it's sharp, when in fact the actual object that you wish to image is not.

My next comment was aimed at those who obsess over star roundness and don't actually look at the image sharpness. When you have both, then you might have APOD material.