Re: PEM Curve vs. Worm Gear Position

Bill Long

No, disengaging the worm for balance will not cause a problem with your PEM Curve.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of billk@... <billk@...>
Sent: Tuesday, September 7, 2021 8:55 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-gto] PEM Curve vs. Worm Gear Position

I just started doing some astrophotography with my new 1100 and I have been reading up on PEM. Since I'm new to PEM and I cannot seem to find an answer to my simple question, I figured I would just ask it here. I'm curious if there is anything about the PEM curve application that is affected when the worm gears are disengaged from the RA/DEC drive gears for checking balance etc.? Does the mount's servo system have sensors to know the exact position of the worm gears such that there are no phasing issues?