Re: Rookie Question

Robert Chozick <rchozick@...>

I use a USB 3 hub at my mount and plug in cameras, focuser, serial to USB converter for the CP3.  I also use a GPUSB for guiding since I have a Mac.  I know this is old school but I still want to use my Mac.  I just bring one USB plug into my computer.

Robert

On Sep 4, 2021, at 12:33 PM, M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...> wrote:

I hope it's OK for me to jump into this conversation because my situation is very similar to Mark's in that I have until now been running my 1100 mount with the keypad, but I would like to start using APCC.

The problem is that I am running out of connections on my laptop:
  • The three USB ports on the laptop are all being used for the mouse, main imaging camera, and guide camera.
  • My laptop does not have a serial port with the DB9 connector.
  • The ethernet connector is used for an Icron Ranger 2304 to provide an extra USB port for a Focuser Boss controller. I suppose that I could use one of the other USB ports in the Icron to connect to the mount. Is this recommended ? I ask because SBIG recommends against plugging their cameras into USB hubs - even powered ones.
  • There is also a HDMI port on my laptop that is not being used.
How about the wireless connection to the mount ? Is this pretty reliable ? The manuals recommend the USB or ethernet connections as being the best.

Mike