Re: APPM Run vs Plate Solve and Recal

Bill Long

APPM solving using ASTAP has been great. I did nothing to the settings either. Built a model at 0.87"/px and 0.6"/px and both times it worked like a champ. 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Ray Gralak <iogroups@...>
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2021 7:47 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] APPM Run vs Plate Solve and Recal

> Ray, I did review the images from the failed solves.  The images from the failed solves will solve if I use
> ASTAP directly.

Geoff, APPM just starts ASTAP with the settings you have configured on APPM's tab. Either way, ASTAP is doing the plate solving, not APPM.

In my testing, ASTAP seemed to be a very finicky plate solver. Tweaking the settings can make or break plate-solving an image.

-Ray

> -----Original Message-----
> From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Geoffrey Collins via groups.io
> Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2021 6:30 PM
> To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [ap-gto] APPM Run vs Plate Solve and Recal
>
> Ray, I did review the images from the failed solves.  The images from the failed solves will solve if I use
> ASTAP directly.
>
> The 30+ model run finished fine with only a failed couple of solves due to a tree obstruction.  I need to adjust
> the horizon limit a little more.  Right after I finished the 30+ point run I started a 178 point run.  The plate solves
> failed other than maybe the first.
>
> The next few nights I did not try another model run. I just imaged.
>
> Tonight I tried a 178 point run and it is working perfectly.  I have the settle time set to 10 seconds.  I assume
> this is terribly excessive, but I am just going to let it run and finish.
>
>
>
> On the night of the 26th, the near full moon had risen by the time I started the second run.  Do you think that
> was the problem with that attempt and the previous attempts that week?  I assume ASTAP would solve the
> same way APPM would solve.  I certainly am using ASTAP in APPM on most attempts and on my 2 current
> successful runs.  Anyway, I am glad to be able to use full frame and 1x1 through NINA.
>
>
>
> Can I send you the results of the run so you can tell me how much flexible etc I have?
>
>

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.