Re: APCC move axis question

Andrea Lucchetti

Linwood,
Can you remind me your mount type?
About one year ago I saw something similar in Skyx but I thought was because the mount was new ( Mach 2). After that I learned to use the move commands in appc and I don’t know if it has been fixed. In my case the move click in Skyx caused a perpetual slewing that I needed to stop in appc. I didn’t use any model at that time.
Andrea

On Sun, 29 Aug 2021 at 17:59, ap@... <ap@...> wrote:
Ray said:

> You should disable tracking/pointing correction during polar alignment routines, or you may get a bad polar alignment result.

That's a fair point, but really steps around the core issue.

As a simple example, the NINA control panel has simple N/S/E/W controls.  These stop working when pointing corrections are active.  I have no idea if there are other places in other programs that also use move-axis.

Should these in fact be failing when pointing corrections are active?

I just tried a trivial example:

- Opened APCC, initialized (tracking = 0), pointing corrections disabled
- Opened NINA, connected
- Using NINA control slewed N, then S - worked fine, fast (APCC showed it slewing)
- Checked pointing corrections
- Slewed N, S - no motion.  Only thing I saw on APCC (or maybe ASCOM V2) was flickering from custom to sidereal rates as I pushed the button

This itself is hardly an earthshaking issue since I can just use the APCC controls to slew (if my sleep deprived brain can remember in the wee house), but it does bring with it a concern that other features of NINA or other software connecting via ASCOM my not work.

Or is everyone pretty sure this is a very isolated case and nothing else uses move axis?

Or are you saying that Move Axis itself, if allowed, would break the pointing model?

Linwood

PS. Logs available if desired from that brief test.