Re: #APCC Pro 1.9 w/ASTAP platesolve test always fails #APCC

Ray Gralak

Hi Sébastien,

This is a follow-up to my last post.

I wrote:
I am not sure if this is a bug in APPM or simply incorrect keyword values in the FITS but this is the problem:

OBJCTRA = ' 6 30 38.84' / Object J2000 RA in Hours
OBJCTDEC= ' 4 56 54.41' / Object J2000 DEC in Degrees
According to the NASA FITS standard at the link below, leading spaces in a character string ARE significant. So, the OBJCTRA and OBJCTDEC keywords in the FITS file you supplied should not have the leading space before the RA and Dec values. So, you might want to try notifying the authors of the application (INDI?) that created that image.

https://archive.stsci.edu/fits/fits_standard/node31.html#SECTION00921000000000000000

-Ray

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ray Gralak
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2021 10:34 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] #APCC Pro 1.9 w/ASTAP platesolve test always fails

Hi Sébastien ,

In the mean time, if you provide a link to your FITS file, I’ll take a look at it.

Thanks, here it is : Fits file w/erroneous RA/DEC parsing <https://www.carpe-noctem.space/cms/wp-
content/uploads/2021/08/Light_240_secs_2021-01-02T16-47-38_002.fit>
I am not sure if this is a bug in APPM or simply incorrect keyword values in the FITS but this is the problem:

OBJCTRA = ' 6 30 38.84' / Object J2000 RA in Hours
OBJCTDEC= ' 4 56 54.41' / Object J2000 DEC in Degrees

The FITS specification indicates that the space character should separate Hours/degrees, minutes, and seconds.

The problem is there is a leading space in both values (notice the extra space after each single quote). APPM is
interpreting the space as the end of Hours/Degrees and believes the first actual number is the value for minutes. I
do not think that the FITS values should have that leading space.

But, in the case of poorly formatted FITS values like this APPM with ignore extra spaces in the next build. :-)

-Ray

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.