Re: Ugghhh cross threaded CW shaft into CW shaft adapter with metal threaded sleeve

Christopher Erickson

My experience is that just about any lubricant will help with galling/cold welding to some degree. However also in my experience, lubricants containing ground Teflon work the best. My speculation is that the ground Teflon bits might be "packing up" in the feathering and preventing the two feathered surfaces from catching each other and locking in. Almost like the teeth of two opposing hacksaw blades engaging each other. Fill the teeth with something and the two blades are then able to slide past each other without catching.

Break-Free CLP is also the best threading and cutting oil I have ever found for use in my machine shop. Much better than any commercial cutting oil I have tried. Especially when cutting stainless or aluminum. Very interesting.

Somewhere I have some electron microscope pics of the surface of machined stainless and the feathering is very obvious.

Cast stainless steel has a completely different surface. I think Sturm Ruger figured out how to use precision ceramic molds and a centrifuge to precisely mold stainless steel without a feathered surface.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 2:08 AM Steve H <shoff535@...> wrote:
Chris,
Thanks for the detailed description of the interaction of threaded metal components, and lubricants.

I’m curious on what your thoughts and experiences are with silicone lubricants.

Thanks,
Steve H

Sent from Steve's iPhone

On Aug 17, 2021, at 1:41 PM, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

Take the counterweight shaft and stuck adapter to a friendly local machine shop.

Take the counterweight shaft and stuck adapter to a friendly local machine shop.

Take the counterweight shaft and stuck adapter to a friendly local machine shop.

Take the counterweight shaft and stuck adapter to a friendly local machine shop.

Take the counterweight shaft and stuck adapter to a friendly local machine shop.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 4:02 AM Klwalsh2061 <kevin.walsh@...> wrote:

Odd size nuts? Maybe so.

Try McMaster-Carr. They carry an extremely wide selection of hardware, including large SAE and Metric nuts and bolts.