Re: APCC v1.9 and one-year renewal subscriptions #APCC

Bill Long

I use models religiously, so the new Dec Arc feature and ASTAP solving is too good to pass up on for me. I did get a free license with my Mach 2 purchase, which was newer than my old license was (my old one was from 2017) so I swapped to that for now and will renew it when the times comes.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of W Hilmo <y.groups@...>
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2021 3:02 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>

I apologize if I caused any confusion.

To be clear, this specific model is not "keep paying or lose access".? It's "we need to be paid for our efforts, and we would prefer to make it recurring and not tied to specific major releases".

I understand this model very well, as well as many pieces of software that use it.

As it happens, I have some experience with this model as implemented by a competitor to Astro-Physics.? I recently renewed one of these subscriptions.? In my case, the couple of features that I needed turned out to be not included in the subscription.? They wanted a significant additional cost - and *another* subscription - to get them.? My response was to start migrating away from that software.

While I don't expect that kind of problem with Astro-Physics, the subscription model, in all its forms, is a slippery slope across the industry.? So often, we lose things that end up being significant by looking the other way from a bunch of small things that, taken individually, are not necessarily significant.

My response to that is to stay off the slippery slope.? I've compromised a few times before, as above, and typically regret it.

The thing that I'm wrestling with today is that I have been looking forward to these new features.? I want very much to say "Just take my money!!!", but I don't want to feel like I've sold my soul to support this model.? I honestly don't know how it's going to go...

Finally, I realize that I'm being an idealist here, and am out on the fringe.? But my life has revolved around the software industry in some way or other for nearly 40 years, so I am passionate about it.? It would be far easier for me to just take out my credit card, than to write these two responses.

With that, I don't have anything more to say about it.? My intent was to make one response and be done.? I'm only making a second response to make it clear that I have not misinterpreted the model, and that pointing out other software that uses it does not endear me to it.

On 8/17/21 2:31 PM, Bill Long wrote:
This is an important distinction as it's not like Office 365, for example, where you lose access (other than read only) if your subscription expires. Voyager uses this same model that AP is implementing, as does SkyX, and if I'm not mistaken MaximDL.?