Re: APCC v1.9 and one-year renewal subscriptions #APCC

Bill Long

It is great to hear that 1.9 is available. I am looking forward to using the new features. I have no issue with paying for the upgrades over time, especially considering it is a choice I can make depending on the features available as new versions are released. It is also great to hear that bugfixes will continue to be available, even if ones subscription is not active for some reason.

APCC has grown leaps and bounds in the years I have been using it, especially with respect to unguided imaging, and all of that certainly comes at a cost. Other software programs I use for Astro have similar models, where you can continue to use the current version you have with no limitations. I think that is a fair and equitable way to keep improvements coming along.

Bill 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of ap@... <ap@...>
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2021 1:50 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] APCC v1.9 and one-year renewal subscriptions #APCC

Thank you.  W Hilmo will obviously need to speak for themself, but to me this takes all the sting out of “subscription” models. 

It’s more like an (optional) recurring maintenance fee that allows you perpetual rights to the upgrades that come out in that time frame.   

Personally I find nothing objectionable to that model.  Free is better, but free is unsustainable.  I certainly want you sustained.

Thanks for clarifying.

Linwood

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Karen Christen via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2021 4:46 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io

Hello Linwood,

Using your example below, at the end of the year, lacking renewal, all 1.9 features will continue to work forever.  If 1.10 comes out after your 1-year boundary (which is different for each person), those features will not be activated without renewal. 

Bug fixes and minor updates are available to everyone, all the time.

Thanks for asking!

Karen

AP

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of ap@...
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2021 3:38 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io

Re W Hilmo’s comments and subscriptions:

For clarity, can I ask about an example?   I read the FAQ and still unsure.

Example (and maybe my terms are wrong):   One buys a 1 year subscription to include V1.9 features.

At the end of the year, lacking renewal, do the 1.9 features stop working?

Or lacking renewal, you just don’t get 1.10 features if it comes out after the year boundary.

To me it’s a subscription only if 1.9 features stop working.  Otherwise it is sort of a prepaid support/upgrade agreement.

The flavor of the words in the FAQ imply it is the latter, which is not the kind of subscription model most people object to, where things just stop working.

Linwood

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

Join main@ap-gto.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.