Re: APCC v1.9 and one-year renewal subscriptions #APCC

Roland Christen

You can continue to use the version that you have forever, without a subscription. All the new features that we developed took a lot of people a lot of effort over the last 2 years. As the state of the art of astronomical imaging advances, we are advancing with it. And it isn't cheap or easy keeping up with you guys. APCC Pro is now incredibly powerful and accurate, just ask George who spent 3 days last week imaging until dawn without ever turning on his guiding software. (hey George, when are you going to process those images?).

I've spent most clear nights this year working with both our 1600 and our Mach2 mounts doing imaging-testing with various scopes, and these new functions work great. Ray has worked tirelessly on developing this program and Marj and others have spent all their spare time bringing it all together. When i mean all their spare time, I mean that Marj worked all thru our vacation, and every day including Saturdays and Sundays for the last 2 years.

From: W Hilmo <y.groups@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Aug 17, 2021 3:29 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] APCC v1.9 and one-year renewal subscriptions #APCC

This is a difficult response for me to write.

I've been eagerly waiting for some of the new features that are included in this release.  But I'm incredibly disappointed with the change to the business model.

Please understand that this has nothing whatsoever to do with cost.  If you put all that great work into new features, and then called it APCC Pro v2, and set a $200 upgrade cost for the major version change, I would have already purchased it by now.  I absolutely support the fact that the folks that write software should be compensated.  I, myself, have made a very good living writing software.  It's allowed me to own your fine products and to retire while I am young enough to enjoy the freedom.  As such, I am familiar with the economics of software development more than most.

My problem is that I am *very* strongly opposed to any subscription model for software that runs local to my machine.  Note that this is different than paying a subscription cost, say, for content as with a streaming service.  My feelings on this are strong enough, that there are other astronomy software packages that I will never be able to use because I will not support the model.  There are even products from the company that I used to work for, that I will never use for this reason.

Until today, I have had nothing but good feelings about all of my interactions with Astro-Physics and your products.  Now, every time that I run APCC Pro, I'm going to be reminded of this subscription model.

I am very sorry to send this response, but I have enough respect for Astro-Physics that I feel that I should make my feelings known, as it affects my position as a customer.  I do not have any expectation that you will change your model over my feedback, but I needed to get it out there.

Thanks for listening,
-Wade

On 8/17/21 1:02 PM, Marj Christen wrote:
APCC v1.9 is now available for download at the following links and from the APCC Download Center of our website.

This version has several long-awaited and significant new features for APCC Pro:
  •          APCC Pro - Declination-Arc tracking algorithm. This new algorithm is an alternative to the normal all sky tracking model that APCC Pro uses.
  •          APCC Pro - APPM can use ASTAP for plate-solving.
  •          APCC Pro - APPM can use NINA for camera control.
  •          APCC Pro - For third-party satellite trackers, real-time RA/Dec can be returned using the :GRGD# command.
Complete Version History with all updates and bug fixes for APCC Standard and PRO versions:

Many thanks to Dale Ghent and Ray Gralak for working together to add NINA camera control to APCC. We know that many APCC users have been very interested in NINA to improve their workflow.

Since the introduction of APCC years ago, our website has stated that we intended to offer a subscription renewal option after the first year for approximately 20% of the price.  Many of you have been using APCC for years without any extra charge as we added new features and refined our pointing model.  Many features were suggested by users to streamline their workflow, provide additional information or control, integrate with other complimentary software and to safeguard your system.

The time has now come for us to implement our subscription renewal program so that we can continue to develop new features that our users have requested.

If the date of your APCC license key is August 1, 2020 or later, all of the new features outlined in the version history will be activated when you install v1.9.

If the date of your APCC license key is earlier than August 1, 2020, only the bug fixes and minor updates will be activated. To activate all the new major features, you will need to purchase a one-year renewal subscription. When that process is complete, you will receive a new license that includes the renewal date.

Major points:
  •         Renewal is optional. Your current version of APCC will continue to operate as it always has.
  •         Everyone is entitled to the bug fixes and minor updates of v1.9 and all new versions going forward regardless of whether you renew your subscription or not. We encourage you to keep your software up-to-date.
  •         The process for obtaining the one-year subscription takes you to the DigitalRiver MyCommerce e-commerce website. It is available to you at your convenience and does not require contact with our office.
You probably have many questions about this new process. We have anticipated many of these and encourage you to visit the Order and FAQ tabs of the APCC page on our website. Please take a few moments to read that first before your posting questions here.

Thank you for supporting further development of APCC!!
--
Marj Christen